Skip to main content

LaGrange County Health Department & WIC

304 North Townline Road, Suite 1. LaGrange, IN 46761-1319 Phone (260) 499-4182 Fax (260) 499-4189

Board of Health  Contact Us  Food  Health Topics  Home  Nursing  Publications  Quick Links  Septic  Vital Records  WIC   
General Information
On-Site Sewage Rule
Residential Septic Permit
Commercial Septic Permit
Constructed Wetlands
Homeowner Installations
Sanitary Sewer
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q: How much is for an onsite sewage system disposal permit?
A: The Septic Permit Fee is $ 75.00 (Residential) and $150.00 (Commercial).

Q: What do I need to apply for a septic permit for a new house and how long does it take?
A: Review the Residential On-Site Sewage Treatment Permit Procedures. If you have ready a septic site plan; to issue the septic permit takes less than 10 minutes. Please, feel free to contact the LCHD before to visit our office to be sure somebody will there to help you.

Q: What do I need to apply for a septic permit to repair a failing septic and how long does it take?
A: Review the Residential On-Site Sewage Treatment . If you have copy of the soil borings or it was done before, feel free to call the LCHD. If you have ready a septic site plan; to issue the septic permit takes less than 10 minutes. Please, feel free to contact the LCHD before to visit our office to be sure somebody will be available to help you, and/or issue the septic permit.Permit Procedures

Q: What do I need to do in order to use my existing septic for a new home?
A: Use of existing onsite wastewater disposal systems in conjunction with new home construction and or home replacement will be considered case by case. See the minimum conditions for use existing septic system.

Q: What is an on-site or soil borings evaluation?
A: An on-site or soil borings evaluation is an actual physical visit to the lot or location where onsite sewage is proposed and sanitary sewer is not available. A Soil Scientist will provide direct detailed soil analysis to be reviewed by LCHD (residential) or ISDH (commercial) to provide minimum requirements for the proposed system.

Q: What are minimum requirements for septic system?
A: Each jurisdictional government entity (state, county, town, etc) requires certain minimum criteria to be satisfied prior to a septic permit being written or an on-site sewage disposal system being installed. The system type, size and location criteria are provided in a format relative to the number of bedrooms in the home, and according to the soil borings report. The LCHD ordinances require 1000 gallons septic tank and 500 square feet of leach/absorption or disposal field as the minimum septic system size requirements to be installed in LaGrange County.

Q: How do I request an onsite evaluation/soil boring and how long does it take? Is there a cost involved?
A: Onsite evaluations are done by private soil scientist consultants. You need to contact them for the cost to do a soil boring evaluation for septic system. This evaluation cannot be used for buildings. Be aware that the soil borings location is exclusive to install the septic system disposal field (trenches, mound, etc); otherwise new soil borings will be required.

Q: How long is a septic permit good for?
A: The septic permit is good for one year but it could be renewed if the system has not been installed within one (1) year of permit issued. The soil boring location should be protected from heavy traffic or equipment.

Q: What about homeowner septic system installation?
A: A homeowner is allowed to install the onsite wastewater disposal system for his/her residential. However, homeowners must contact the LCHD to get the septic permit before starting any installation. A free pre-inspection field visit could be done; if required. All county regulations (LaGrange County Ordinance) and ISDH (State Residential Rule 410 IAC 6-8.2) rules apply.

Q: How do I call in septic inspections?
A: After the septic system is installed, a FINAL INSPECTION is required before covering any part of the system. The installer (owner or installer licensed) should call to the Health Department (499-4182 ext. 7) for an appointment. An advance call at least 24 hours is highly appreciate. During the summer season, a 48 hours notification is recommended considering the high number of inspections and only one inspector is available. Daily calls will be followed as time permitting and every effort will be done to schedule the inspections as daily workload allows.

Q: Is there a diagram of my existing septic on file at the LCHD?
A: Homes constructed prior to 1970, there are no diagrams available for these homes; please contact a septic installer or excavator to locate your septic system. Record for a septic system installed with a permit issued after 1970 by the LCHD should be requested contacting the LCHD office (499-4182 Ext 1). Any inquires or private request by second or third parties should be faxed to 499-4189, Attn: Alf Garcia, or e-mailed to

Q: How do I find out if sanitary sewer is available for my property?
A: If the property is located around or nearby Town of LaGrange(260-463-2042), Town of Shipshewana (260-768-4743), Town of Topeka (260-593-2300), Town of Wolcottville (260-854-3316); Adams Lake Regional Sewer District (260-982-2252), Steuben Lakes Regional Waste District (260) 665-9865 or the LaGrange County Regional Utility District(260-499-6349); they should be contacted. A release note should be obtained before a soil evaluation is requested. A health department permit can not be issued to install a septic system if there is sanitary sewer available up to 500 feet of the PROPERTY LINES.

Q: If there is no record of my septic diagram, how would I find the location of my system?
A: You may contact a septic installer, septic pumping or hauler, or excavator to help you locating your system. For any septic system installed before 1970, a record is not available.

Q: Are residential and commercial water wells installation permits required?
A: Currently, LaGrange County does not have a drinking water well ordinance. However, well driller should be following any Indiana State or Federal law regulating both residential and commercial well installation. For any commercial well, including questioning; IDEM (South Bend office (574) 245-4870) should be contacted to get any permit required by state law.

Q: How can I become a registered installer?
A: A $2,000.00 insurer bond should be posted in the Assessors Office plus there is a yearly $150.00 registration fee (January-December). Testing is not required but educational training and others requirements could be required. Any additional questions about license o registration, please call Kelly Bills (499-4182 ext 5,, or for techical questions, please contact Alf Garcia (499-4182 ext. 7).

Q: If I have a septic permit and would like to change septic installers, what do I do?
A: Contact the LCHD; Environmental Health Division Office (499-4182 ext. 7) and provide the information to ensure that the installer is licensed and registered to work in LaGrange County.

Q: I have received the results from my onsite evaluation/soil boring from the LCHD. What do I do now?
A: Your building and/or septic excavator should be contacted. The Technical Data Sheet provides the information required to design the septic system. A septic site plan is required to issue the septic permit.

Q: How to get a holding tank permit installation?
A temporary sewage holding tank shall not be used as primary means of residential or commercial sewage disposal. The LCHD could issued temporary sewage holding tank if in 1 year or less the building will be connected to the sanitary city sewer.

Q: I want to construct a pole building, a swimming pool, etc. on my property. What are the isolation distances from the septic tank, absorption area and reserve area?
Set back distances for any part of the on-site system including the tank, a constructed wetland cell or field trenches:
A. From the house, building or any other structure………….…..10 feet
B. From any residential water well (yours or neighbor’s)……….50 feet
C. From any commercial water well …………………………....100 feet
D. Property line …………………………………………………......5 feet
E. Lake, pond or other enclosed water body…………………….50 feet
F. River, stream, creek or ditch…………………………………...25 feet